BACKGROUND: On March 13, St. Augustine’s formed a COVID-19 Response Team in anticipation of the needs of our parish at this time. Soon after, a protocol of physical distancing was adopted by the Anglican Diocese of Calgary, leading to the suspension of in-person meetings and services at St. Augustine’s.
CURRENT SITUATION: Although the Province of Alberta implemented Stage 2 of its relaunch strategy on June12, churches within the Anglican Diocese of Calgary continue to exercise caution. To help develop relaunch guidelines for parishes, the Diocese has assembled a team uniquely qualified to study the options.
The Archbishop’s Task Force on the Re-opening of Public Worship Services has been asked to consider the guidelines and protocols – including timelines – provided by the Province of Alberta for Services of Worship, and advise the Archbishop on both timelines and protocols for the re-opening of public worship services for the Anglican Diocese of Calgary. Task Force members include:
- The Very Rev’d Leighton Lee, Dean of Calgary (Chair)
- Dr. Chris Bockmuehl, Medical Doctor, Parishioner at St. James, Calgary
- Dr. Sebastian David, Medical Doctor, Parishioner at Christ Church, Fort Macleod
- Dr. Brenda Ireland, Medical Doctor, Parishioner at St. Augustine’s Lethbridge
- Linda Kamhuka, Infection Control Practitioner, Alberta Children's Hospital, Parishioner at St. Andrew’s, Calgary
- The Venerable Noel Wygiera, Archdeacon Rocky Mountain and Incumbent at St. Luke’s Red Deer
WORSHIP CONTINUES: During this time of physical distancing, St. Augustine’s is using Facebook Live to “live stream” services of prayer and worship. Livestream links for home worship and The Daily Office are posted on this website approximately 15 minutes prior to each event.
- Sunday Worship: 10:00 AM (Book of Alternative Services)
- Thursday Spiritual Eucharist: 9:30 AM (Book of Common Prayer) will continue until July 9th then take a break for a few weeks
- Mon./Wed./Fri.: Morning Prayer 9:00 AM (Book of Common Prayer) and Compline at 8:45 PM (Book of Common Prayer)
- Tues./Thur.: Evening Prayer 6:00 PM (Book of Common Prayer)
Follow this link to view live and recorded events: http://www.staug.org/worship-services
MINISTRY CONTINUES: The church is now using Zoom to facilitate virtual gatherings. For example, our Lenten Study Series successfully transitioned to a virtual study using Zoom, and our Adult Confirmation class was able to continue in the same way. This format is also appropriate for virtual pastoral conversations.
GIVING CONTINUES: Parishioners are encouraged to keep up with their regular offerings. These can be dropped in the church mailbox (in the slot located to the right of the main doors) or cheques can be mailed to the church. Please do not mail cash. Contact the office if would like to start an automatic monthly bank transfer arrangement, or you may click on "Donate Now" at the bottom of our website home page to make a payment using your credit card.